Cruise ships are becoming increasingly digital and MSC Cruises’ are no exception with their new MSC for Me programme. Their next generation Smart Ship, MSC Meraviglia, will be their first cruise ship to have MSC for Me when it is launched in June 2017. The MSC for Me programme is a multi-level technology platform that has been designed to improve the quality of cruise holidays for families and individuals. On Meraviglia, MSC for Me will see the ship fitted out with 16,000 points of connectivity, 700 digital access points, 358 informative and interactive screens, and 2,244 cabins with RFID/NFC access technology.
Following the MSC for Me debut, the programme will next be rolled out on MSC Seaside in November 2017. MSC for Me also includes a full digital integration of services using mobile phone, tablet and the internet as well as customer information systems onboard ship. The systems will allow passengers an unparalleled ability to book events, view photographs and communicate with staff onboard ship to provide a superb cruise experience.
The demand for digital interactivity is real with 59% of guests looking to customise their vacation prior to joining the ship and 17% claiming they do so once they’re onboard. In addition, some 73% of guests claimed to be more interested in a holiday on a better connected ship and there is a huge demand (69%) for smartphone and tablet (36%) use onboard ship.
How will MSC for Me assist passengers?
The innovative features that will be introduced by the MSC for Me programme will include:
- The Navigation Digital Way Finder providing passengers with advice, guidance and information on what’s on. The technology is a smart map system and can help them find their way on the 300+ metre long ships with a 5 metre precision. It also allows guests to locate and track their children on board.
- The Concierge system allows guests to easily book services, restaurants, excursions and much more in real time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Capture technology system provides digital immersive discovery through virtual reality so that passengers can preview excursions and also a gallery with interactive screens showing the guests unique ‘cruise story’, which they can share in real time with friends and family.
- The Organiser is a planning tool for guests to check in with their own mobile device and also book trips, seats for shows, or the best dinner table, before embarking the ship or even when on board.
- TailorMade technology is a digital, personal advisor to provide tailored recommendations to passengers, based on their pre-selected preferences. By using intelligent face recognition software the staff is also better able to use the system to take care of guests in a highly personalised approach.
In addition, the use of interactive bracelets connect guests to ship’s services and are able to activate geo-located suggestions through around 3,050 Bluetooth beacons.
MSC Cruises have produced a short summary video to explain the benefits of MSC for Me. View it here:
MSC for Me is a fantastic advance for cruising and will provide guests with more than 130 smart features to fully optimize the holiday experience. Next time you cruise with MSC remember to be digital and take full advantage of the new systems.
For more information, please visit MSC Cruises.